Sunday, April 4, 2010

Killer Litter

This post was made after one of my cousins was hit by an egg from above. This was definitely on purpose, as my uncle had noticed a broken charcoal had hit the ground near him. Let me give a summary of what happened:

My six cousins and I were playing 'monkey' in a mini amphitheatre near the void deck. My uncle joined us slightly later.

My uncle was sitting down watching us play when he heard something crack near him, and found 4 broken pieces of charcoal. He went around trying to find out who was the culprit, but to no avail. Note that he did not inform us.

Subsequently, an egg landed on one of my cousin's left shoulder, and an egg shell grazed her neck and created a mess on the floor. My uncle immediately went to the nearby (and it was VERY near) police post to report the incident. The officer on duty told him that his colleagues would be coming over shortly. While waiting for the officers to arrive, we started on our own investigations. Our investigations found that the 8 floor corridor was the only floor which had charcoal.

When the officers did arrive, it was around TWENTY MINUTES LATER. By that time my cousin had already gone back up to change into a new set of clothes and returned! The officers merely took down my uncle's and my affected cousin's statements, and left without even making an inspection!

I would like to ask: What are our police doing? How are they going to solve crimes like this, or are they even going to bother solving it at all? The police should at least attempt to find the culprit, and not let these CRIMINALS escape unpunished!

Although I recognise that this would not be easy, but they should at least have put in some effort in trying to solve it, like narrowing down their searches to households which have charcoal and eggs, instead of coming to scene talking on the phone and leaving after taking down statements.

Fortunately what the CRIMINAL (I choose to call him/her that) has thrown was an egg, and not something more solid like a rock. The person might have been irritated by the noise that we were generating, but s/he could have at least told us, instead of throwing things down from high-rise buildings.

After this incident, we were afraid to play in the amphitheatre again, and stuck to playing in the playground. And if we did play in the amphitheatre, we would ensure that the block where the suspected culprit was was videoed (of course the camera was quite hidden).

No comments:

Post a Comment